Rendering in Consciousness - Kathha Petti 4



With this rendering I had an intention, I wanted to mindfully create an experience that -
  1. stays away from explanation or conclusively situating a story. 
  2. embeds meaning without calling it out. 
  3. allows for multiple narratives to emerge. 
  4. use a language that I could sense, and that did not use conclusive/limiting words, hence I chose my mother tongue Malayalam. 
In my earlier renderings, I had failed miserably. Especially when I conclude a story I found a strange need to situate it in one place/emotion. The closure would become very important, it is almost as if my ‘reasoning mind’ was taking over, and suddenly all the joyful freedom I have experienced in building the story had evaporated. I would end very rendering feeling terribly disheartened at the thought of what it could have been. 
But, something very interesting happened with this rendering -
  1. A story emerged within a story, which was then tied to the overarching story. I was very thrilled with this exploration. It was fascinating to see that I was manipulating the objects before me well.  As I have already used all the props in the box in at least one telling, the characters were beginning to assume fixed/associated meanings with them, a sort of fatigue was beginning to set-in. The characters came with the baggage of the previous roles/meanings that I had ascribed to them. So when ‘the story within a story’ emerged I was thrilled and did a happy jig in my head, it was an Aha! moment. 
  2. Using a language from my childhood allowed for using of words beyond their given attributes and meaning. Humour was explored with the tone, and play of words. Characters were developed through actions rather than explanations. The conclusion was sought but without conflict. The story was one with my heart. I was free while rendering it. 

Watch/ hear my story here - 





Varela talks of 5 omnipresent mental factors in the Embodied Mind, as I rendered I experienced a few which I have listed below. 

To conclude, this has been my most fulfilling rendering of the Kathha Petti so far. I say this knowing fully well that so many facets of the telling could have been done differently, but among all other renderings this one was the most pleasurable, and I felt fully connected with this experience. 

Comments

Popular Posts