Rasika to The High Priestess Never Marries



Over the last week, I took a trip to town which means a customary visit to my favourite bookstore. Armed with a list of books I would like to read, and a light wallet (thanks to student life) I ended up picking only two books, The High Priestess Never Marries is one of them. I discovered Sharanya Manivannan's with Ammuchi Pucchi a children's book and have wanted to read her writing for adults ever since. At times I think I am best a connoisseur of books, it is the medium I am most one with.  There is much in the written text that has the power to generate imagery and emotions for me. It also helps that all this churning is within and has no desire to be seen.  

The High Priestess Never Marries is an anthology of stories of love and consequence. If analyzed from the Rasa framework as defined by Dr. Ganesh Shatavadhani, the book uses all four elements of creating sublimation. The Rasas are explored and created using poetic prose and use Vibhaava (the cause), Anubhava (the effect) to create Vyabhishaari (transitory moods of emotion). In these stories love is the cause, the consequences-pain, heartbreak, and longing are the effect, and melancholy, passion, and revelation are the transitory moods that the reader experiences. 

The author puts Vakratha (oblique expression) and Dhwani (suggestion) to their best use by using prose that borders poetry.  It is for this very reason that I feel that the analyses used in Indian music can be applied here. The proper employment of the fine techniques used by the author creates appeal, Dhruthi (Lilting, melting of the heart) and Prasad (Contemplative, Serenity). Even though the descriptive application of colors, red vermilion, ochre, etc. a feminine, sensual atmosphere is created throughout the book. Most of the stories of this book worked for me as there was a realisation of the world within me and the world outside of me. 

Read more of my analysis here. Click on the image to enlarge.  



Here is what the cover of  The High Priestess Never Marries looks like in case you want to buy a copy. 


my immediate thought upon completing the
book.


Comments

Popular Posts