The Makers of Fashion



Objective:
How are emotions of making by hand different from being led by a machine? Are the core emotions of all making the same? How does the environment guide/aid making? How does practice and time work on skill? 

Notes on Preparation:

1) Where did your journey begin? How long till you master the trade?
2) What parts of your body are used the most in your job? How are they/ are they interlinked?
3) What does making to do to you? What are your innermost emotions?
4) Can you name the emotions that you experience while you make or are they subliminal changes in the body?
6) How do you overcome the challenges posed by fixing?
7) Does fixing allow you to create your own style of working?
8) How does pace affect your interactions with your work?

Amjad Bhai master tailor with over 40 years of tailoring experience. 


Discussion: 
I interviewed Amjad the master tailor and Abu Basher the master embroiderer. Both these masters have over 40 years of experience. They both work on completely different skills but they believe that no handwork can happen without a union of mind and body. The working environment of these studios are very very different, but the emotions and feelings around work converge at many points. 
A fully hand embroidered blouse. 


Action: 
I used the interview technique to interact with both these masters. I had trouble articulating my question at certain points as neither of my candidates had given such deep thought to their job, and language was a barrier. I had to formulate and ask questions keeping in mind that I don't get them to agree with my premise. Re asking key questions was a technique I had to follow to seek consistency. I also felt that there was sheer honesty in Amjad's and Bashar's responses, they were true to their trade and felt no compulsion to agree with me.

An embroidery frame being carried for approvals. 

Documentation: Video interview, Photographs, Notes.
Methodology: Mixtape(Interviewing with Empathy) for immersion & REFLECT for preparation and objective setting.
Date of Interview: 3 March 2018


Watch the interview here:

Comments

Popular Posts