A New Manifesto Emerges - Visual Leadership


It has been an exciting time putting my thoughts into visual formats, something I hesitated doing for the longest time. There were battles with the sense of perfection and what art should look like, which I have overcome finally! With Visual Leadership, I have immersed myself in making drawings that make me happy!

Version 1 of my Manifesto looked like this.

Manifesto Version 1
When I began working on Version 1 my ideas were merely disparate thoughts that outlined what my education/ leadership plan ought to be. I believed in many ideas that were largely participatory and inclusive, but it was missing crucial pieces. As the course unfolded new ideas emerged and strengthened my core beliefs.

  • I used to think, Leadership was a faraway space hidden in corporate boardrooms or in power corridors. Now I think, leadership is in the everyday actions of individuals. True leadership is when the agency and wisdom of a group are given voice. Leadership need not merely be a top-down approach. Leadership is not a far-fetched, negative, uncomfortable idea anymore.
  • I used to think Care was limited to the space of health, family/parenting. Now I think Care can be/ should be the all-encompassing guide for all that I design. When care becomes paramount, it allows for deeper and more meaningful interactions. Approaching learning through the framework of care, rather than choice makes learning infinitely more powerful. Listening I have begun to believe is care too! 
  • I used to think Choice was what made education unbound and good. Now I think, learning spaces guided by listening (care) create a nourishing environment. 
  • I used to think Documentation was tedious, overrated and boring. Now I think documentation is witnessing with honesty and allows for deeper engagement which is guided by the wisdom of the group. Witnessing allows reassessing of goals, plans, individual needs and outcomes that are suited to each environment. Designing to meet the specific needs of an environment is also an act of Care. 
Based on these mind shifts Version 2 of my Portfolio was drawn out. I retained my ideas around difference, pace, and duality from Version 1 as I continue to feel strongly about these aspects.

Manifesto Version 2












Comments

Popular Posts