Iconography in Maps

This post is a video I put together of my interviews around maps. In this discussion we dissect the ideas of iconography in maps and how big a role it plays in making maps effective visual tools. We studied three maps and compared for various aspects like - Iconography, Directional/ Navigational usability, Information on geographical features, Clarity, Cultural Information.





This is the final post ( for some time) of my interactions with the experts at Mapbox, till I meet them again with my findings. The next phase of my study will engage children to study maps and use thinking tools to understand the effectiveness of maps. 

By the end of these interactions, I hope to have a holistic view of what experts and children see differently/ alike in maps. It is based on these inputs that I will begin on my proposal/ research document. 

In the course of my data collection, I have found value in researching beyond the internet. Meeting actual people and engaging in planned interviews have become trusted allies in my practice! Ideas are set free when people talk! 


Comments

Popular Posts