Through The Eyes Of Children!



I shared this map of India with 5 children (aged between 8- 13 years) and got them to annotate copies of the map. I have included here some of the top comments that came through.  

Their comments just go to prove how iconography can alter the visual experience of a map. This map is a visual OD, but the kids just lapped it up and saw so much in it. 

I chose a foreign language India map just to see how they react to the language of the map, the imagery was what was noticed most. They complained about the lack of it too in many places, like the lack of forests and boundaries. 

I concluded after this meeting that maps are visual stories. They are powerful visual aids that communicate. Maps indeed make thinking visible !!! 


Look at what they children had to say - 


Next, I will engage the kids in a See Think Wonder on the maps the experts used the thinking tools on.  Post which I am going to make some maps myself with all my findings. This is turning really interesting !!! 

Comments

Popular Posts